pLog 0.2 has been released, marking the second important release of the project after the successful 0.1 branch. Of course, pLog 0.2 brings an impressive set of new features:
- Speed improvements. pLog should feel now much faster than 0.1.x. In our tests, the time required to process a request was about 5-6 times faster
- Improved administration interface. Now every single aspect of pLog can be controlled from the administration console. There is no need to edit configuration files anymore!
- User levels, including normal users, blog owners and users with administrator permissions. Possibility to easily add/remove users from blogs.
- Improved "Read More" feature. Now instead of abruptly cutting the post, you'll get two different text boxes when typing the post so that the user can choose what to show in the main page and what to show in the post page.
- User comments can be auto formatted. Also, it is now possible to choose in which order user comments will appear, newest first or oldest first.
- Easy interface to dynamicall add language files and theme packs.
- Search-engine friendly URLs (only available when using Apache 1.3.x)
- Improved plugin interface.
- Bug Fixes
A few template sets and additional plugins have also been released, but have not been included in the main package. They can be found in the "Extras" section in the top menu bar.Keep reading for more information or see the release notes for pLog 0.2
The best way to install pLog is using the wizard.php script. But before using the wizard, please make sure that the tmp/ folder is available and is writable by the user running the web server, since it is needed to create some temporary files by the wizard.
To install pLog, simply provide all the information that the wizard asks for and it will automatically do everything for you.
Upgrading from 0.1.x
If you're upgrading from an older version of pLog, the best way to do it is overwrite all the files from the previows release (keep the config/config.properties.php file, though) and then run the wizard and follow the steps after clicking on the "UPDATE" link.
Main changes from 0.1.x is that the configuration settings have been moved to the database, so the upgrade process will create the new tables for you but will keep the older settings.
Old themes files will not work properly if "search-engine friendly" urls are enabled. When using this kind of urls, all relative urls in templates will have to be rewritten to be absolute urls. Another possibility is to use the "url" object from within the template, which will take care of generating the url for you. The "url" object can be seen in use in for example the "grey" template set.
The only available languages in this release are English, Spanish and Japanase. The people who were in charge of translating the texts have been very busy and didn't finish the translation in time. If you were using any of the languages that has not been included in this release, we encourage you to finish the translation.